How do I run RTIBuilder on my Mac when I get a "Damaged File" message?

cdschroer

None of the above solutions worked for me, and the link to rtigroup.org page is dead. That being said, I found the following workaround based on the instructions for running the Linux version.

I have OSX Catalina 10.15.7

I had two problems, firstly, I had the error that the RTI builder requires the Java 6 JDK, which is out of date and older than my system's JDK. I did not want to stomp my system JDK , so I used homebrew and jenv to install and use multiple versions. I will not dwell on this here because it ended up being complicated and I ended up trying a bunch of stuff which eventually worked. If you are having this error message, you might find the following Stack Overflow thread helpful, along with instructions for using jenv.

• https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26252591/mac-os-x-and-multiple-java-versions
  • https://developer.bring.com/blog/configuring-jenv-the-right-way/

Now, for the main problem, once I got the JDK message to go away, I got the "This file is damaged and cannot be opened" error. Changing the security settings as described by Tom did not resolve the problem.

I had to open the program via the terminal:

cd /Applications/RTIbuilder-v2.0.2.app/Contents/Resources/Java

java -jar RTIbuilder.jar

The software then started. I hope other people find this helpful.

6 minutes ago, Nany the Mummy said:

None of the above solutions worked for me, and the link to rtigroup.org page is dead. That being said, I found the following workaround based on the instructions for running the Linux version.

I have OSX Catalina 10.15.7

I had two problems, firstly, I had the error that the RTI builder requires the Java 6 JDK, which is out of date and older than my system's JDK. I did not want to stomp my system JDK , so I used homebrew and jenv to install and use multiple versions. I will not dwell on this here because it ended up being complicated and I ended up trying a bunch of stuff which eventually worked. If you are having this error message, you might find the following Stack Overflow thread helpful, along with instructions for using jenv.

Now, for the main problem, once I got the JDK message to go away, I got the "This file is damaged and cannot be opened" error. Changing the security settings as described by Tom did not resolve the problem.

I had to open the program via the terminal:

cd /Applications/RTIbuilder-v2.0.2.app/Contents/Resources/Java

java -jar RTIbuilder.jar

The software then started. I hope other people find this helpful.

In addition, Carla mentioned that a script ran on software start, which set a path to the software.

It would be useful to know more about the script, since the above workaround does not do anything that this script might do--you might get some funny errors because of it--what environment variables are getting set? Does the script add anything to the path?

It would be useful to be able to do this manually with the above solution, or to write a little shell script that set the appropriate variables and loaded the jar.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This problem is far from being solved!!

I managed to open the program via terminal as Nanny the Mummy said but as the program open via terminal you cannot generate the rti file as you get another error. Running Monterrey OSX

Error image file attached. Has anyone managed to fix this??? I really need to use the program for work!! We are starting campaing next week :-(

I think this project is forgotten and not updating anymore. If so, please let us know so we don´t care about carring the RTI equipement to the site again :-(

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-08 a las 13.43.34.png

Other thing I tried is, after allowing thrird party apps via terminal an trying to unblock the programs the new error message is that the program closed unexpectedly :O WHAT?

Please, someone has managed to get things working? Here is my terminal commands

arqueoartis@iMac-de-Carmen ~ % sudo spctl --master-disable
arqueoartis@iMac-de-Carmen ~ % xattr -cr /Applications/RTIbuilder-v2.0.2.app 
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/RTIbuilder-v2.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub'
arqueoartis@iMac-de-Carmen ~ % 

Looks like JavaApplicationStub is the problem? NO idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I wonder if RTI Builder (and the viewer) could be released as completely open source software in github, so that all the development would be open and transparent. Also, it would be then possible to find developers to contribute to the project.

Tomorrow I am teaching and the request was to talk about RTI. I know already that most of the people at the group have Macs ... so what can I tell them?

All the best

Hembo

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I want to add my voice as well. Is there any solutions for Mac Pro M1 silicon chip? I agree with hembo and wonder if we can make this open source on Github to get the community involved to update and resolve the issues with the advancement of Macbook tech. I am going to Athens for research purposes and was planning to use your program. Any help or advice would be great.

Thank you

Another message and call for help here.

I was stupid enough to start building a RTI rig and spent quite a lot of money on it already, trusting that the software is widely used enough to be compatible with today's machines.

But running my first tests I realize today that only the pc version can be run, provided we bypass all security warni ngs, which means it is a no go for any institution with an IT department.

I see you got a grant for software update, and that is great!

If I can provide feedback or user testing, I would be happy to test any current beta version of the updated software, either on Mac or Pc.

Bests,

M

• 4 months later...

RTIBuilder will not run on macOS Catalina and later.  This is old code that is not easy to migrate - and is not simple to fix.

The good news is that we have recently forged a collaboration with The Visual Computing Lab (VCL) in Pisa.  They are authors of the RTIViewer and MeshLab among other open source tools. Their tool is called RelightLab.The current version 1.2.3 will run on Windows and modern Mac OS's (Catalina and later). There is very limited documentation - but a small set of steps is included with the "i" (info) menu item..  It is open source, and has a github site (see below)

RelightLab will replace RTIBuilder.  We do not have dates for a final release - where our team will provide documentation and examples - we just received some grant funds to help with this  we are working on an agreement and schedule now.  The current tool does work and can build HSH based RTIs in the .rti format- and also a new format called "relight" developed by the VCL team - specifically for Web distribution.  That is working well, and files can be viewed in the open source OpenLIME web viewer. (Please note - though PTM format is in the menu - it is not implemented in version 1.2.3 - only HSH and the new relight format are currently implemented)

Here's more info:

And the github site with downloadable releases

I expect to be posting more to the forums about the new tools and instructional materials in the coming weeks.  We will be posting notices about RelightLab and the end of RTIBuilder on our downloads page. 

Carla

I got the CHI RTI working on my Mac M1 with Monterey OS. Go to this link in the CHI forums. It is a step by step instruction for running it. You will need to get Crossover by codeweavers. They have a free trial but the paid version is reasonably priced. I think 40 euro or something like that. Anyway, the PTM fitter is available via dropbox from CHI. See Link below. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jfsy0lhxu6zv4i4/AADJpq6E_GJmNw_s5C8r94CVa?dl=0 YOU NEED TO GET THE WINDOWS VERSION PTM if you are running the Crossover program! DO NOT GET MAC. It is the Intel version. I have been using RTI on my MAC M1 through crossover with no issues besides the slow rendering (given the age of the program). I would think if you are running intel Mac but having issues with the OS (Catalina, Big Sur..) then running crossover may provide the same solution for intel Mac as it did for M1.  I hope this helps everyone. Please dm me if you have any issues with setup. 

• Like 1