Basic hardware

JohnT

This is a complete noobs question, but having been bitten a couple of times I will ask anyway.  I am looking to set up a basic system form imaging generally and rti in particular.  I have been invited to image some mason's marks by the city museum and need a computer to handle the image processing.  I currently run linux so I am looking at a second hand Panasonic tough book to run specifically in this role.  I understand that I need java installed and I will need cuda for the 3d reconstruction but are there any other constraints. Also what would be a minimum spec in terms of ram and memory.

Many thanks

JohnT

If you're going to do SfM work, I'd recommend at least 32 GB of RAM, and as much as you can afford (though most motherboards can't take more than 64 GB). SSD drive for the boot and main work drive, at least 256 GB; regular hard drive for longer-term storage is fine. Definitely recommend nVidia for the graphics card, and get the fastest one you can afford; video RAM is not as important. Not sure you'll be able to upgrade your ToughBook, though.

I think that John is interested in RTI - which doesn't require as beefy of a system as photogrammetry does.  The good news for RTI is that it will work on a broad range of systems, though it will definitely be faster to process on a faster machine.  Also, this somewhat depends on the resolution of the camera you will be using, and therefore the resolution of the finished RTIs.  If you have 16GB of RAM you will be handle most RTI image sets and also load and view them in RTIViewer.  I agree with Leszekp about the graphics card if doing photogrammetry, but not as critical for RTI.  If you are doing a lot of photography with high resolution cameras (>25MP) then this will definitely help you.  So bottom line is max out the RAM and CPU and graphics card for what you can afford.  16GB is an absolute minimum to work with  high resolution images (including RTI) - and 32 if planning for photogrammetry.  Pay attention to the the other components too, and not just RAM.

Carla