Bogus virus warning

leszekp

I have Windows Defender as my antivirus on my laptop, and today it decided that RTIBuilder is a dangerous virus and deleted it from my computer. Heuristic virus diagnoses are very annoying. If you have Windows Defender, be on the lookout for this.

Main computer has BitDefender, which has no problem with RTIBuilder; will probably disable Windows Defender and install BitDefender to resolve this problem.

I think you can still set it as an exclusion in Defender (although I go for Avast at home) but it's a bit extreme that it simply deleted the program from your pc.

I just installed RTI Builder at work on Win 10, where I had to hit "run anyway" when it warned me when I clicked the install file, and then on Norton (company mandated, not my choice) I had to enable two processes Builder was running for the same reason (heuristic virus). I'm assuming that this is all because the program is fairly old and lacks up-to-date security certificates. Definitely something to be aware of, even if it only causes minor headaches.

Archived