Using RTI to help simulate candlelight viewing experience

Richard

Hello,

Apologies if this is both scientifically incoherent and off-topic! I wondered if anyone has done anything with RTI images as a way to simulate viewing an object under a different lighting source (e.g. candles), and presenting in a 2D viewer a animated simulation of such an experience (e.g. a picture of a sculpture with lightning varying with simulated flickering of the light source). From what I can read, this has been done to some extent (e.g. https://diglib.eg.org/handle/10.2312/VAST.VAST07.087-092 ) and used in either 3D models, or for static reproductions, but I can't find any work on presenting this dynamically in 2D. Is anyone aware of any work on this (or even better, code! Something like the ability to script the RTI view in OpenLime would suggest it could be done within that ? -  https://github.com/cnr-isti-vclab/openlime )

(I'm discounting with this are the different colour temperatures that would be needed as well, and no-doubt many other variables for the moment)

thanks,

Richard

Richard, an interesting question!

I'm not sure if RTI is the (best) way to go about this.

I've never done this, but I'm certain that if you used photogrammetry to make a textured 3D model of your object, sculpture etc., you could then use a modelling package (such as blender) to re-light your model and follow a camera track to view it from different aspects.

Dave

Thank Dave, it definitely seems like using 3D modelling software is the way this is done from the research I can find, but (and I'm sure this is my lack of understanding), isn't that just simulating for the object the information we already have with RTI on its reflectance ? I'm struggling to articulate this but in my head with the RTI information isn't it a simple(!) question of showing how that would vary with the changing lightsource (e.g. the flickering flame). I have a feeling though I'm missing several steps needed to make that work, which is no doubt handled for you within the 3D software.