Problem with .JPEG files, but not .jpeg files.....

Heather.White

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone else has run into the problem when trying to process .JPEG files in RTIBuilder...? I get an error at the end, that capitol jpeg files (.JPEG) are an unknown file type. My camera (or camera card (I don't know which device controls it) only takes .JPEG files, so I've been having to process RAW images through Photoshop into lower case jpegs (.jpeg). I would really like to not have to do this step, as it's very time consuming and I have to use a different computer!

Thanks in advance for your input,

~Heather

Heather -

There are really 2 different issues here.

1.  There is a known bug in the ptmfitter software (which is called by RTiBuilder when making ptms) which will not work with jpegs that have an uppercase JPG in the filename.  There is a discussion about this on the forums, including some recommended software you can use to batch rename your files:

http://forums.culturalheritageimaging.org/index.php?/topic/241-error-processing-ptm-stack/?hl=renaming&do=findComment&comment=467

2.  The more important issue is that you really should be using a RAW workflow, regardless of this naming bug.  This is discussed in some detail in this forum discussion:
http://forums.culturalheritageimaging.org/index.php?/topic/222-raw-v-jpeg/

The issue is really that if you shoot raw you are getting much more information, the information isn't processed, and you are in control of how to process the data.  We very strongly recommend the workflow described in the "Guide to Highlight Image Processing" found here:

http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Downloads/Process/index.html

Including converting your raw images to the digital negative format for archiving.  There are a lot of reasons why this is a substantially better workflow than shooting jpegs directly.  Also, the liklihood that you or others could reuse your images in the future with new software and new techniques is greatly enhanced by capturing the higest quality unprocessed images, and controlling the processing that is applied.  For example - applying sharpening to images before turning them into RTIs can cause significant issues in the results, including the creation of false information due to sharpening "artifacts"

If you do choose to shoot jpegs in your camera, you should at a minimum set your camera to do the least amount of in-camera processing on the jpegs.  In Canon cameras this is called "Picture styles".  Other manufacturers use other names.  You will need to do a bit of research about this for your specific camera.  But really, if you are shooting anything of any value that others may want to use, then you should adopt the recommended raw workflow.

Carla

Hi Carla,

Thanks for your reply!

I understand the RAW processing workflow and the benefits of it (it's very regular/daily with my work), however at the moment we are utilizing this technique in the field and we are essentially trying to "sell" this type of documentation to researchers and archaeologists who are unaware of it (which will be very beneficial for the material they work with and study).....so during this (very hectic) field season, a finished product is needed for supervisors, directors, and visiting donors/VIPs as soon as possible. We shoot images in RAW and jpeg, so that we can go back and fully process our photos when time is available....we simply just don't have the time during the field season for photo processing for the RTIs (we don't even get to process our regular photo documentation yet!).

Thank you for clarifying the bug in the ptmfitter software!

~Heather

Heather -

I totally understand the need to get to a quick result when in the field.  Like you, we will sometimes shoot RAW +jpeg in order to facilitate that. 

Hopefully the software that does batch renaming will help.  Also, do try to set your camera to do minimal pre-processing on the jpegs.

Best of luck!

Carla

Archived