Partial rotation of source images

Beth

I often have to rotate my images to have the final model oriented properly for our end users. I have never had trouble with this in the past, but I'm running into problems with a specific model. I had to rotate the images 30 degrees for proper orientation rather than 90 or 180, so the photos aren't squarely-oriented rectangles as they usually are. The builder won't even load the source images, it just lets me select the jpeg-exports file and then cycles endlessly. I tried extending the background canvas to make each photo a rectangle, thinking that even if it got bad results I'd know whether the shape was the issue, but that didn't work either. 

Any suggestions? The same photo set works fine unrotated, so I'm not totally losing this set, but I'm using these with students so it's nice if they aren't distracted by the orientation of the model. 

Thanks!

Beth, just a couple of thoughts:

1)  When you extended the canvas, were all rectangles exactly the same X as each other and the same Y size as each other?
2) Was the rotation about the centre of the images?

I guess (1) might stop them loading, (2) ought to load if all the same size but might give inaccurate results.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes to both -- I did a batch process using a recorded action that first rotated by 30 degrees, then extended the canvas to dimensions of 8000x9000 pixels, using the center as the anchor. Possibly something about the sequencing could have messed that up, I suppose, though I checked stacking them and they all look aligned properly. I had already tried it with just rotation without extending the canvas and that hadn't worked, so I was reasonably certain the issue was the rotation, but wasn't sure if it was the resulting orientation itself or maybe something weird in the EXIF data or something like that. 

I'm going with a restart and re-export of the original files since I have sometimes had that fix errors; it would just be useful to know if I'm trying to do something that is known not to work. 

Hi Beth,

Another thought, as you've mentioned how much you're extending the canvas. I wonder if the extended images are getting too big? - I can't recall seeing the dimensions ever documented as limits; but I do recall folk having problems with images that were too big.

Just as an experiment, try resizing down to, say, 2000 x 2250 pixels.

Dave 

Just following up to say that I did get it working! I'm still not quite sure what the error was, but I rotated and then cropped to a square and it worked. Maybe something in the data where the image size and canvas size weren't matching? Or just ghosts in the machine.