RTI Viewer Crashes

Ashira

Hi RTI folks, 

Problem: a particular data set crashes RTI viewing software. 

Background: I captured an RTI using the standard highlight-based method and processed the data as an RGB PTM. The RTI build phase was normal and it produced a finished PTM file. This particular capture was part of a series of RTI captures, the rest of which were built and viewed without issue.

What I have tried to no avail:  I have tried both RTI viewer and PTM viewer, I have tried rebuilding from the original captures, and I have tried opening it on different machines. No matter what fix I try, opening the file causes the viewing program to crash. 

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Many thanks!

Ashira

My best guess is that the file is too large to load on your computer.  The rgb PTMs are twice the size of lrgb ptms.  So even if the lrgb version loads, the rgb version may not.  The viewers try to load a file, and then if they run out of memory they crash.  With RTIViewer we discussed having a limit of file size, but then folks with bigger machines would be limited, so we decided to not put in a limit.  It is difficult to detect this condition, which is why there is no error message.

You can resize the files in RTIBuiler and then build your rgb ptm smaller.  Also a 2nd order hsh is larger than an lrgb ptm, but should be smaller than an rgb ptm, so that might work full size.

On windows machines, where the RTIViewer is 32 bit, you hit this limitation more readily than on Macs.  In the 1.1 version of RTIViewer, which we are working on now, there will be both a win 32 and win64 bit version, so Windows users should be able to open larger files if they have more RAM.  This is already true on the mac.

What is the file size of the rgb ptm?  Are you mac or PC, and how much RAM is on your computer?

Carla

After about 75% of processing on a Windws XP-machine there comes the message:

Runtime Error!
Program:C\Programme\RTIViewer.exe, This application has requested the
Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Could it be that the files are too large? We are anyway on the way to change to Win7 to use the full 4GB RAM of the machine, but just to be sure.

Kind regards from Freiburg, Germany
Gerhard Dangel
Augustinermuseum

Dear Gerhard -

this is mostly likely an indication of not enough memory on the machine to load the file.  This is further constricted in XP environments which have a 2GB limit of RAM for applications, regardless of the RAM on the machine.  It might work on the Win 7 environment.

How big is the RTI file?  (how many MB on disk?)

If you have a very high resolution camera, you may need to resize the images and make a smaller RTI file to load on these machines (you can do the resizing in RTIBuilder)

Carla

Archived