Looking to get involved

5500kelvin

Hello forum. I have been looking for a site like this for some time. I'm glad I have found this community. I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on how to get involved in cultural heritage imaging. I live near Philadelphia, maybe there are some places I can get some instruction close by ? Hopefully some local efforts I can get involved with ? Any information I can give about myself that helps let me know....I would be excited about any pointers or leads offered !

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it would be useful if you said a bit more about your background, specifically any photographic and/or computer skills.  Also any experience in working with cultural heritage materials or sites.  CHI is based in San Francisco, so not too close to you.  We have trained a couple of folks at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in RTI.  I don't know what projects they might have going.

Carla

• 6 months later...

We are looking to start up RTI capabilities with what camera equipment we have - a Nikon D90 - ony needing to buy a flash and wireless trigger. Anyone the forum able to suggest economical but effective products to buy in these areas? We are a state government organization with budgetary limitations. The objects for RTI documentation will be largely 2D graphics - broadside, maps, photography, some books. Suggestions on set-up for small spaces would be great, too! Thank you for any advice in advance.

We are a canon shop, so not as familiar with Nikon options.  I know that the most recent Canon cameras and flashes have switched from built-in infrared triggers to radio triggers.  We haven't upgraded our gear at this time, but you might check what Nikon is offering.  We have found that infrared triggers don't work well for the oblique angles like raking light, but the radio triggers are very reliable.

If you are looking for a third party radio trigger system, we have been happy with Pocket Wizards, specifically the tt1 and tt5 combination, which allows you to put a flash unit on the trigger's hot shoe.  They do make both Canon and Nikon versions of these units.

We recommend having a good tripod, or alternatively using a copy stand if you are in a lab environment and shooting a lot of documents or other flat objects.  If you haven't done it, you should read the guide to highlight image capture from our website, because it has some really good general advice and discusses some general equipment choices and trade-offs.

Good luck!

Carla

Archived