Error when opening the XML carrier

Taylor

After creating a new project in RTI Builder and selecting the images to be processed, I received an "Error when opening the XML carrier" message when I pressed "next" to proceed to the screen to find the light positions. When the screen opens to select the area to use to identify the spheres, none of the project images appears in the top window, and I can't select the area for finding the spheres.

I tried starting over to create a new project, and this time I didn't receive an error message, but still no images appear in the window when I get to the screen to highlight the spheres. However, when I closed the RTI Builder program and started over, I again got the "error when opening the XML carrier" message. Can you suggest a way to fix this error? Thanks!

Taylor -

That's really interesting, and I have never seen this problem before. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with permissions, and that RTIBuilder can't write a file into the folder where you are working. I'm guessing here though. I'll ask the developer what he thinks, since i"ve never seen this before.

I think your hunch is probably right, Carla. I had difficulty installing the RTI Viewer also, and the OSX said I need to override the security preferences to open the viewer. It seems that the default settings in the Mountain Lion OSX are set for maximum system security, and Apple says they haven't reviewed the RTI software--imagine that! They need to put CHI on the list.

I changed my preferences temporarily to allow installation of applications from any source, and this solved the installation problems (re: comment in RTI Builder topic), but I'm still getting the same "Error when opening the XML carrier" when I get to the 3rd screen of RTI Builder. I'm new to this OSX, so I'm not sure how to change the permissions to fix this problem, but I'll let you know if I find a fix.

Carla, you're right about the permissions. I have all my captures stored on an external hard drive and a backup drive, which were initially formatted on a different computer. I have "read only" permissions for this drive. I'm copying the files to my desktop, which I expect will take care of the error message. Ok, I've earned my "newbie" badge for the Mac OSX. Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Hi, all,

I am now encountering this same problem - although there is no issue with folder permissions (I've double and triple checked the permissions on all files/folders involved in my post-processing process here).  Is anyone aware of a bug fix for this? I'm running the most recent OSX (10.8.4 or some such) as well as the most recent Java (7, update 25). 

The trick here is that everything was working just fine back in June, I then didn't use the software for about two months, then fired it back up yesterday and today and was having this issue out of what seemed like nowhere.  I'm not sure whether this is an issue triggered by me (whether by updating or installing something on my own laptop? or perhaps by altering some kind of setting or moving some kind of file I should have kept?).  About a month ago I did go through and delete a considerable amount of data off of my HDD (a sort of "spring cleaning" of sorts) - I wonder if I may have accidentally deleted a core file not packaged with the RTI Builder software?  I'm really not sure here.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

• 4 months later...

I'm getting this error too...  and just like Husky54, everything was working fine just a few weeks ago, and after not using it for a couple weeks, I am now getting this error.  But unlike Husky, I haven't really made any big changes to my computer files or anything. 

I am using Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1.

Please help! 

Ok, scratch that, I got it working!

The issue seemed to be due to folder naming...  I guess my file folder naming structure was incorrect, because once I simplified the top level project folder name (because while it had no spaces, there was a period and a #), the Builder worked. 

I also noticed that when it wasn't working, the XML file was being placed outside my project folder.  Now that it's working, the XML file is being placed inside the project folder, where I'm assuming it needed to be. 

If you haven't already solved this, I hope this helps.
Lieah.

Archived