Primary View / Orientation

KurtH

I like the idea of having a primary view to help have a default orientation for models. But because we do no rotation to the images when processing, half the time the images used may be sideways and we do often already orient the object in Metashape when optimizing the alignment. 

I wonder if it would be valuable to have an option to not orient to the image and respect the model's orientation (though that may then require yet another question of axes: Y-up, Z-up / Left-Hand, Right-Hand).

Thanks, Kurt -- we've gotten the same feedback from Mia regarding an option to respect the original orientation, but it's good to hear it from you too to get confirmation and perhaps bump this in priority.  We are also working on a process to rotate the primary view in 90 degree increments when used, which I think would also address the use case you're describing.  Hopefully we'll have some improvements to the UX along those lines for the primary view / model orientation soon.

A 90 degree click would be nice (though at least I can just type in 90 or -90 if needed) the option to respect original orientation would be a much bigger QoL improvement (though probably a few more lines of code and/or re-thinking of some processes than adding a 90 degree button).