Artifacts in different maps

Hi, I have been having issues generating maps and I tested with different models. 

In the second picture you can see the texture Metashape created, while  in the first one you can see a map generated by the software. The latter has weird lines that are not part of the actual geometry of the object. It is recurrent in all the maps. Do you know what could be the cause?

Screenshot 2024-08-14 093631.png

Screenshot 2024-08-14 093556.png

Hi, thanks for trying out Kintsugi 3D!

Can I first ask where you're viewing the model in the Kintsugi screenshot?  Is it in Kintsugi 3D Viewer, Kintsugi 3D Builder, Sketchfab, Blender, or somewhere else?

My first instinct is that looks like it might actually be a shadow being cast by a light source.  I might see if you can move the light to see if the line moves.

If it is truly baked into the textures, sometimes that can happen when you have a photograph in the input set that cuts off part of the object -- this causes a seam between the part of the object visible in the photo and the part not visible.  One temporary solution might be to edit the photo in Photoshop and add an alpha mask that fades to transparent at the edge of the photo if you can identify the image that might be causing this -- Kintsugi 3D Builder will read the alpha channel and decrease the influence of the masked/semi-transparent pixels accordingly.  I'd like to eventually have a more robust solution integrated into Kintsugi 3D for scenarios like this.

@sjoerv Ideally, yes.  We've used Kintsugi successfully with projects that included photos that did cut off part of the object ( @Charles Walbridge might be able to comment more on that) but there is always a chance of seams if such photos are included (for now, until we have time to implement a better solution for this use case).

If you have a dataset where you're seeing issues because of that and are willing to share it, we might be able to use it as a test case for addressing this situation in a future version of Kintsugi.