Difficulty launching RTI Builder

srathman

The following is pasted in from an e-mail from the freelance technician that solved a launch issue with RTI Builder, where nothing happened when the desktop icon was clicked:

I don't know what was wrong with the RTIbuilder executables. Both the main and console versions terminated immediately upon execution, on both 64-bit Windows 7 and 32-bit Windows XP. The solution, in both cases, was to make a shortcut directly to the RTIbuilder.jar file, bypassing the launchers entirely, with the default working directory of the shortcut being the same as its location (C:\RTIbuilder_v2_0_2). So long as the full 'for consumers' version of Java was installed (available at www.sun.com under the main downloads menu), the systems recognized the .jar as an executable file, and also found the associated .jar's in the library folder.

For questions related to this fix, please e-mail adrianvw@gmail.com .

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the same or a different issue: when I open RTI Builder and try to start a new project (p. 12 of the RTI Guide to Highlight Image Processing) by providing a project name and selecting any of the fitters (Highlight Based HSH or PTM fitter), nothing happens when I press the "Start new Project" button. Nothing I've tried, including uninstalling, reinstalling, and restarting the computer, can get me to the next screen of the GUI to start building an RTI. I've tried various project names, including the exact parent folder name containing the subfolders where the images are stored in the C:\ directory. I've made sure there are no spaces in any of the folder paths, and followed the folder naming guidelines. I'd welcome any suggestions.

Taylor,

I haven't seen this issue before. Usually if it starts then things run OK. I can ask the developer to take a look. What platform are you on? Just to be clear, RTIBuilder is coming up, you are typing a name in the project name area, you select a pipeline (either hsh or ptm) and then click "start new project" but nothing happens, and you never get to the next screen. Is this correct?

Carla

Carla, yes, the description you gave is what's occurring. The "start new project" button reacts like it's been depressed, but the next screen doesn't open, regardless of which pipeline I choose (HSH or PTM fitter). I'm running XP Pro with Service Pack 3 on a 32-bit Lenovo laptop. It's up to date, and everything else seems to be running normally (clean anti-virus scan and no odd behavior). I have 4 Gb of RAM, but I understand XP only makes available up to 3 Gb. I've tried running RTI Builder without any other windows open, but it didn't make a difference. One item that I thought might possibly have impacted the process is that after I downloaded the PTM Fitter (per p. 10 of the Guide), I clicked the PTM Fitter executable, which opened an editor that asked for the locations of certain files. I just typed "quit" and "exit" to close the window, after I realized I didn't need to be doing anything with the editor. I thought perhaps this might have inadvertently set some variables inappropriately, but I'm guessing it had no effect and the issue I'm having with RTI Builder has something to do with the operator (moi). Thanks for your response!

Thanks for the additional info. I don't think ptmfitter had anything to do with it, as I don't think that it tries to communicate with ptmfitter until you get to the last screen where you hit "execute". Also, the fact that it isn't working with the hsh pipeline is a clue. We have definitely run successfully on XP pro, and less RAM just means things run slower, but they should still run. Also, if you can't get to the second screen, no files have been loaded yet, so nothing should be slowing it down. It's weird. I'll check in with the developer to see if he has any ideas.

Carla

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My university IT people tell me that they will not be able to install RTIbuilder_v2_02 on my managed PC because the software has a virus. I do experience this odd thing where double clicking the RTIbuilder icon results in a virus alert which claims to have discovered a Trojan (Artemis!9032434733EF). Double the clicking RTIbuilder[Console] icon results in the normal launching of the software. Has anyone come across this this before? Thanks!

What antivirus service do you use? Many of these programs use proprietary "heuristic" algorithms, where they rely on suspicious software "patterns" in addition to antivirus definitions, and I suspect that's what is happening here. I've had the same thing happen to a software program of mine; I had to submit it as a false positive to the antivirus service, and wait for them to fix the problem. Be prepared to have them tell you it's your fault.

• 2 weeks later...

I was traveling and I missed these last couple of posts.  I am not aware of any viruses in the software, or any reports of viruses in the software. The 2.0.2 version has been around for several years now with no changes whatsoever.  Leszekp's description is scary, but I don't find it hard to believe that some scanner would find a pattern it didn't like, and since this is low volume open source software, they wouldn't know anything about it.  I'm not sure I an provide any additional advice, since this s an issue that has not come up before ( or at least has not been reported to us at CHI)

Carla

• 1 month later...

Has Taylor's problem been resolved?

I am running Windows & 32 bit and can open RTI Builder from the console, but cannot start a new project using the PTM highlight method.

We have un-installed and re-installed multiple times, updated the plugin for ptm, updated java, and did a regedit too but no luck.

Something wierd is that even with the un-installs, and regeidit's the "date modified" has not changed for the console, jar file, and application.

Thanks for any insight!

Ansley

Ansley, thanks for relating your experience and solution.  I was never able to get the RTIBuilder to run on my XP laptop, and I've been building RTIs on a 2012 Mac Mini instead.  Maybe I'll try your solution (deleting Java and starting over) to see if it works on my machine, if there's a need, but since I have it working on another platform, I've let it slide.

Hi leszekp,

A belated reply to your 26 October post and just to say thanks for your response and that I think you were correct that university antivirus software was being over sensitive in thinking it had found a trojan. They were running McAfee, so if anyone get a similar reaction when attempting to install, as you say: "many of these programs use proprietary "heuristic" algorithms, where they rely on suspicious software "patterns" in addition to antivirus definitions". Interestingly, a few days later the warning stopped coming up of its own accord.

Best - Kathryn

• 9 months later...

Just to add to this re. antivirus software, I've just had the same problem with McAfee throwing an alert at a trojan "Artemis!9032434733EF"  when attempting to run RTIbuilder under Windows 7 (no problems during install). Solution was to add an exception for the 'b2e.exe' file to McAfee.

I have been having the same virus issue (running Mcafee) on a Windows 7 i7Core 64 bit 10G Ram. I have placed the b2b.exefile in the exception list. Interestingly, I get to the final stage of RTI creation 'execute' and come up with the errors 'Improper call to JPEG library in 200 state' followed by 'unknown error detected'. I am running Java 8 update 25.

The JPEG Library error is a different issue.  The problem may be that you have a space somewhere in your filenames or directory names.  This is documented in the user guide, and also discussed in the forums in several places:

http://forums.culturalheritageimaging.org/index.php?/topic/72-the-feared-unknown-error-message-in-rti-builder/?hl=%2Bspaces+%2Bfilenames&do=findComment&comment=70

It is also possible that this could be a problem with your filenaming - you have to use lower case .jpg and not upper case JPG in the filenames:

http://forums.culturalheritageimaging.org/index.php?/topic/341-problem-with-jpeg-files-but-not-jpeg-files/?hl=jpeg

Good luck!

Carla

Thanks Carla,

There are no spaces in the file names, but the uppercase file type extension may be the issue.

Keep up the great work team. I met Mark at WAC7 and am pushing this technique amongst my university colleagues.

Regards,

Andrew

Addendum: Recreated the project with lower case extension. Works well now. Thanks for the help.

• 3 years later...

Windows Defender will not allow me to run RTI Builder because it claims there is a trojan virus:

Trojan:Win32/Dynamer!rfn

Affected items:

startup: C:\Users\jand1\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\RTIbuilder\RTIbuilder.lnk

file: C:\RTIbuilder_v2_0_2\RTIbuilder.exe

"This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker."

I am not running any other anti-virus program.

What can I do about this please?

Archived