Error processing PTM stack

John Anderson

Hi, Carla. We've been running both RTI processing methods without any problems on our Windows 64-bit XP-Pro workstation. Today, we get a PTM error message, 'Unknown file type: JPG.'

We processed a .jpg stack we know is OK, but that, too, returns the same error message.

The only change we are aware of is installation of ImageJ, which we were running on another workstation. This required 64-bit Java 7. We removed both, but still get the same PTM error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John Anderson.

for ptms on windows, jpeg files MUST use the lower case jpg.  If you use upper case JPG for the file extension, you will get an error.  The bug is in the ptmfitter, not in RTiBuilder (so we can't fix it - since we don't have that HP code)  It's also noted in the documentation - though I admit the error message could be more useful.

Carla

Arghhhhh!

Thank you Carla. We couldn't figure this one out. We tried several previously-acquired stacks but, unknown to us, somewhere along the line our entire stack library got converted from .jpg to .JPG, probably during archiving.  I'm an idiot for not reading the earlier post.

Many thanks, again.

John Anderson.

Yeah, this one drove me crazy for a while as well.

I think it's been posted on the forum already, but a simple way to rename all files in a Windows folder with a new extension is:

1. Right-click on the folder with the Shift key depressed, and choose "Open command window here".

2. In the command window, type "ren *,JPG *.jpg".

Done.

Hello, leszekp. Yes, we were taking valium for a while!

We discovered that our BluRay disk-writing prgram, Cyber-Link, converts .jpg file extensions to .JPG.

Oddly, although Adobe Bridge differentiates between .jpg and .JPG extensions, Windows XP pro (it's all we use) displays files with any  jpeg extension as .JPG.

I'm intigued by your batch conversion method. In Win XP pro 64-bit (with service pack 2), 'Shift' + right-click does not open a command window... What PC/platform are you using?

A good application for for batch image conversion is Irfanview. It's also extremely fast opening large image files.

I'll try to contact HP and ask them to modify the PTM software to accept .jpg extensions. I'll keep the forum informed.

With best wishes,

John Anderson.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tested an excellent file and folder extension changer called' Renamer.' You can download it at

http://download.cnet.com/ReNamer/3000-2248_4-10590705.html

Download to the desktop and run. It will install itself. When starting it for the first time, you will get a registration message. Click on the 'Enter Registration Code' box, then the 'Accept' box. The software will ask you if you are launching Renamer for the first time, and if you want to open the Quick Guide. You can accept or decline.

The rest is easy

Renamer is GUI driven, and simple to use. It will convert bulk files from JPG to jpg. There's a PDF user's handbook, and it's FREE!

John Anderson

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was hoping the new software had fixed this "issue." It drove me nuts the first time I ran into it. I think it is an artifact of the Unix/Linux environment. 

The suggestions for renaming provided here are very helpful to me. Thanks to all. Glad I learned of this forum at ARARA. We have projects to get done this week.

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

We can't fix this problem because it is in the ptmfitter software, which comes from HP and we don't have source for it.  In the new version of RTIBuilder we are working on, we will detect this case and give a more useful error message.  That's all we can do since we are calling someone else's software in the end, and we can't get inside it.

Carla

Archived