photogrammetry of objects behind glass

cheis

I was wondering if anyone had any success doing photogrammetry on an object that is behind glass.  I'm planning on doing some tests with polarizing filters to try to remove the reflections, but I was curious if anyone else had tried this before. 

-Crystal Heis

It depends a bit on the distance between the glass and the object.  I've used a step-up ring with some felt attached to prevent damage to the glass, and then photograph the object with the lens pressed against the glass. This avoids the reflections from the glass. Reflections from the back of the case can be removed by masking the images.  If you need more distance from the glass you can make up a black velvet "cone" to block out reflections from the front of the case... but not always practical either.

• 4 years later...

I see that this is an old thread but I've hit the same issue and wondered if you were able to resolve it Crystal Heis. 

Currently working on 3d modelling of a heritage compass.  The mapping of the closed glass front causes some funky distortion!  The compass is on  a turntable, two studio lights and 50mm prime lens.  There is enough light for the detail behind the glass casing to show arrow and dial.  My next experiment is to run a camera row and mask everything except the dial.  However whilst looking for information came across this forum. 

Any advice ?  Cheers Rosie