DLN:CC Beta – software version 1.0.3 (build 26 Apr 2018 15:55:31) / DB version 2.2.3

DLN:CC Beta – software version 1.0.3 (build 26 Apr 2018 15:55:31) / DB version 2.2.3

First few observations / comments:

• Needs Regionalisation, in particular dates – looking at examples logged today (4 June 2018) it looks like 6 April 2018 (6-4-2018).  If the system can’t/won’t reference the users’ locale, or maybe even as a ‘better’ fix, suggest that the date format, when displayed at least, is dd-mmm-yyyy so it shows 7-Feb-2018 etc which is then un-ambiguous world-wide.

• Registering an RTI image set has various string (Egyptian, not computer!)-related prompts. Might I suggest there’s a tick-box/radio-button or similar to indicate string or dome?

• Talking of domes, I can see how one would create an entry for a dome in the equipment register. Domes are rarely off-the-shelf and thinking of how one could/would document a dome, I wonder if the ability to associate photographs with project setups could usefully be extended to allow one or more photos of a piece of equipment (e.g. a dome type rig) to be associated with that equipment entry to save having to re-associate them with every group or set of images acquired using the same rig.

• In documenting an Image Set, it allows Operators to be associated, and to specify their role. However, it only allows one role per operator. In real life there may well be multiple roles for an actor/operator (e.g. image acquisition, computer processing). Could ‘fudge’ this by creating hybrid roles (e.g. 'photographer / computer operator'), or having schizophrenic clones of the same operator (‘Dave Martin – photographer’, ‘Dave Martin – computer operator’) but that is de-normalised and doesn’t reflect reality; so multiple roles are needed.

Dave

Dave - thanks for the feedback.  

We are planning to internationalize the software to make supporting different localizations easier.  I agree that dates can be tricky - and maybe we should just make the month and date formats clear as a start.

Thanks for bringing up the dome scenario.  Most folks are doing the highlight method of RTI - and this is a little bit skewed that way.  Remember that you can enter as much or as little data as you want  - so you can easily skip the string length - or use it to record the radius (i.e. the light standoff on your dome). You can make your own equipment category for a dome.  Put in whatever you want about it, and associate an image or two of the dome with any groups of image sets - or image sets you wish. 

Good point about operator roles.  Initially we were thinking about collecting the initial event of capturing the image sets, and so you can make these whatever level of specificity you want.  I use "image capture" for a person playing multiple roles in the image capture.  Good point about making it possible to associate the same person as the image processor.  

Thanks for the feedback!

Carla

First of all, thanks for your comments, Dave. As Carla has already replied to some of them, I'd like to supply information regarding your last topic: As with most association forms, it is actually possible to associate the same operator more than once with a specific image set, thus expressing more than one role. You simply have to check "Show associated?" in the upper part of the form, in order to include operators already assigned in the list of eligible persons (left pane), giving the possibility to associate the same person again with another (or even the same) role. I hope that solves your issue.

Thanks Erich,
Have just tried that and, exactly as you say, ticking '[ ] Show associated?' does allow an operator to be added with another role.

I would observe/suggest:

1)  Not sure if it might be better either completely without the need to tick that box, or reverse the default / pre-tick the box. It certainly isn't obvious (until you know how!)

2)  As you say, once that box is ticked, not only can you associate multiple roles, but you can add several instances of the same actor/operator with exactly the same role. Would strongly suggest that is not a valid result, so basic validation when associating an operator with an image set would be to present only those roles which they don't have already - so adding a completely new operator would in effect offer all roles; adding an operator for a second or subsequent time would offer a reduced set of roles (NOT IN ...)

Dave

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, Dave Martin said:

• Talking of domes, I can see how one would create an entry for a dome in the equipment register. Domes are rarely off-the-shelf and thinking of how one could/would document a dome, I wonder if the ability to associate photographs with project setups could usefully be extended to allow one or more photos of a piece of equipment (e.g. a dome type rig) to be associated with that equipment entry to save having to re-associate them with every group or set of images acquired using the same rig.

emphasis not in original post but now added when quoting  DM

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, cdschroer said:

........You can make your own equipment category for a dome.  Put in whatever you want about it, and associate an image or two of the dome with any groups of image sets - or image sets you wish......

Thanks Carla, yes understand can create a grouping for the dome, and apologies if I didn't make question clear. The point was that the dome structure is (relatively) invariant, so rather than have to associate pictures of the dome or rig with every image set taken with the dome, the 'normalised' solution would be to associate the pictures with the equipment. Similar might apply to, say, a photogrammetry turntable arrangement which was used repeatedly.

Dave

Thanks for the additional details.  I'll note that you can associate a photo with a group of RTI image sets  - which doesn't totally get what you are asking for, but is simpler than associating with each image set.  Also, the ability to "duplicate" image sets and/or groups of image sets will also automatically associate the photo.  I agree that these ideas are "workarounds" for what you are asking for, but thought I would throw them out there in the hope that you might find the suggestions useful.

Carla

Archived