RTIBuilder 2.0.2 now available on CHI website

cdschroer

• 2 months later...

I am considering upgrading the machine upon which I run the RTI software. I was thinking about upgrading to a 64 bit machine, but I see that the "win32" is specified for the software. I assume that the RTI software will run just fine on a 64bit machine, but also that there is no particular advantage to running it on a 64bit machine. Is that correct?

At some point will there be a 64 bit version?

Jerry Lutgen

This is a good question about 32 bit vs 64 bt Windows OS's. One important thing to note is that in the older Windows 32 bit OS's like XP pro, there is a limited amount of space available to applications regardless of how much physical RAM is on your computer. It's limited to 2GB. So moving to a 64 bit OS resolves this problem, the 32bit applications can still run, and they can take advantage of additional RAM space. This is particularly important for RTIViewer, since more space is available, and bigger ptm and rti files can be loaded without crashing.

For RTBBuilder, it is written in Java, and the Java platform generally comes with your computer. The RTIBuilder code is the same for windows and Mac. We package it separately in order to have installers that work on each platform, but the actual compiled code (called a jar file) is the same. It runs on a Java Runtime Environment, and so if you have a 64 bit OS, you wil have a 64 bit Java platform, and the RTIBUilder will take advantage of that.

We are looking for funding for updates to the RTIViewer and a new web based viewer. Noting to report yet, but if it's funded, we will definitely be announcing it, and we can look at building a 64 bit version at that time.

Carla

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I seem to have bad luck installing and running the RTI Builder and Viewer software. I couldn't run RTI Builder or open .ptm files on my Windows XP laptop platform, and now I'm unable to install the RTI Builder on a new 64-bit Mac Mini.

The first time I tried to install it, I got an error message stating I needed to install Java. I installed Java 7, then retried installing the RTI Builder by downloading it, double-clicking the .dmg file in the Downloads folder, then dragging the RTI Builder icon into the Applications folder, per instructions. I expected to see a message requesting my password for permission to install the program, but nothing happened, so I opened the Applications folder to see what was going on. I found the RTIBuilder icon in my Applications folder, so I thought maybe it had installed correctly. However, each time I try to open RTIBuilder, I get a message saying that the software is damaged, and I should move it to the Trash. I've deleated the previous downloads, emptied the Trash, tried restarting my computer, re-downloaded the software, and re-installed it about 3-4 times, and got the same result every time. It says the program is damaged, and I should move it to the Trash. I hope there isn't a problem with my new computer and it's just operator error due to my limited experience with the Mac OS. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Interestingly, I was able to install RTI Builder from a USB drive, but wasn't successful doing it from the Downloads folder on my Mac. It seems to be working perfectly now, but I'm still not sure why it wouldn't install following the Processing Guide instructions (the normal procedure). Could there be an issue with the new Mountain Lion version of OSX?

Taylor,

Thanks for the notes. We don't have any computers on mountain lion at this point, so there could be something there. I know that Apple recently announced they weren't going to ship Java with the OS any more, so that will mean folks have to download and install it separately. It used to just come with the OS. I'll keep an eye out for any more reports of problems o that OS. It's good to know the workaround of putting the software on a USB drive. Very strange. The installer for RTiBuilder is super simple.

Just to follow up, the default settings in the Mountain Lion OSX were set for maximum system security. I changed my preferences temporarily to allow installation of applications from any source, and this solved the installation problems. At some point, I hope Apple will review the RTI software and put CHI on the approved list.

• 1 year later...

Do the following happen to others when using the most up-to-date version of RTIBuilder on a PC?

• Once a process is set in motion the little executing box does not always go to the background when opening other windows. When the images are loading in, the window does go to the background, but thereafter it hangs out in the foreground (e.g. highlight detection). It would be nice if this did shift to the background -- perhaps something to add to the fix-it wish list?
  • The Builder window sometimes minimises once a process has been set in motion, but other times it freezes and one cannot get to other windows and must wait for the process to finish before accessing the desktop. Is this something that could also be fixed?

Cheers - Kathryn

A couple of different issues have drifted into this thread.  To follow up with Taylor on the OS 10.9 Mavericks.  We have done some homework about this, and we have to apply to be on the approved developer list, then we have to repackage all the software using an approved Apple Developer ID.  It will take us some time to get this done, because we don't have any funding to do this work, though we will try to make it happen over the next couple of months.

The short term solution is to change the security setting, as Taylor describes.

This is also discussed in this thread: 

http://forums.culturalheritageimaging.org/index.php?/topic/308-rti-builder-damaged-file-error-on-bootup-on-mac/

Note that the error message is completely bogus.

Carla

• 2 years later...

The Mac Sierra issue was addressed in the FAQ forum.  I'm adding it here also. The problem is more completely described over in the FAQ area:

MacOS X Sierra does remove the run apps from "anywhere" option.  

Here's an article with a couple of options for how to get around this:

http://dispatchist.c...tions-anywhere/

I can't vouch for this site, but one of the options is pretty straightforward.  The more permanent fix involving a command line action in a terminal, you might want to do a bit more research on before trying.

Carla

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Carla

I have a workaround on our blog details how only let RTIBuilder through Gatekeeper without any nasties getting through.

The workaround is at the following link:

https://sites.google.com/a/exeter.ac.uk/rti/what-we-ve-been-up-to/aworkaroundforrtibuilder202onmacossierra

If there is any other way we can help with the software, please do let us know.

Sam Stevens

Co-Director - RTI Group
University of Exeter
ex.ac.uk/rti

rtiGroupEmailSignature.png?attachauth=AN

• 2 years later...

The page with the workaround noted above is no longer available.  I was able to install RTIBuilder 2.0.2 on MacOS Mojave with instructions from this page: https://techsviewer.com/allow-installation-of-apps-from-anywhere-in-macos-mojave/

They show multiple options, but the only one I was able to make work was to disable the "gatekeeper" which puts open apps from :"anywhere" back on your preferences window.  Note that you can open RTIBuilder once, then change your setting back to just from identified developers, until you need to allow an app to open again.

Other methods for overriding allow an app from an unknown developer, including from the Apple Manual did not work. The system detects that the app is "damaged" meaning that it was modified after it was signed.  Note that there are many legacy apps where this is true, and they say that you can override it by using control click on the app and open, but that didn't work for me.  I continued to get the damaged app message.  However, disabling the gatekeeper (i.e. putting "allow apps from anywhere" in the security preferences did work.

Carla