Double lines on document

rob-cross

Hello from Tulsa!  Quick question - I have been asked to copy some Spanish documents from the 1570s using RTI.  First version, I saw that the handwriting was doubled - every stroke has a "shadow" - perhaps I hit the paper with the string or there was wind movement?  So, I did version two and the same thing.  Only this time I noticed that when you use the virtual track ball in RTI Viewer, half the time the letters are fine and half the time the letters have a shadow line.  What is going on?  I have attached one version - the one with the double lettering - the other half of the RTI looks fine with no shadow stroke

Thank you,

Rob

post-1007-0-78817400-1464721105_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

It looks like you have some kind of movement in the dataset.  If the pixels don't line up exactly, you will see this kind of blurring - often only in some light directions.  Is it possible that the paper moved slightly during imaging?  Can you secure it with lead snakes or some other safe means?

Alternatively, we have brushed off the image alignment tool from Princeton, and are working to complete it where it could be released.  It's been sitting dormant for a while.  I have a Beta version on Mac (sorry no windows build at the moment) - let me know if you want to try it out on your data set - and I'll get it to you via a dropbox (offline)

Carla

Thank you, Carla - The center column on the tripod was not locked down, so I will complete one more RTI in case the camera moved.  If that fails, we will have to add weights to the paper (which we are trying to avoid).  The paper is light and we do have air movement (thus my winter jacket to keep the draft away!).

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Photoshop's Auto-align to deal with subject/camera motion between shots. Basically, import all the photos as layers (from Bridge - Tools | Photoshop | Load Files into Photoshop Layers), then align them (Layer | Align), crop as needed to trim the edges  and export the layers as JPEG files (File | Scripts | Export Layers to Files).and use the output files for your RTI processing.

Archived