Canon EOS Utility AF disabling in live mode

ldh

I am in the field and I am having a major issue with focusing in live mode.  I use the Canon EOS Utility with a Rebel T3i.  I set my camera to AF, take a shot in live mode, and then the AF switches automatically to MF where I cannot focus properly.  I have not had this happen before and I am at a loss how to fix it.  Any ideas?

Hi Lori,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what is happening.  There is a physical switchon the lens for AF and MF.  In addition, the EOS utility has a software switch to turn from AF to MF.  However this software switch only works with some camera models and some camera lenses. We have used it successfully with the right combination, to turn off the autofocus without touching the camera.  I believe that if the physical switch on the lens is in MF, then you cannot focus with the EOS utility, only with the focus ring on the lens.  However, if you have a supported camera and lens combination, you can leave the lens switch in the AF position, and then turn to MF in software in the EOS utility.  Is it possible there is some combination like this that is getting in your way?

Carla

Hi Carla.  Since I posted that query I realized the problem is only with my 50mm lens. (My 100mm lens works fine.) For my 50mm, I can't get my subject to focus in live mode when the camera is on AF. The focusing element stays red even when I try to fine tune it.  I haven't had this happen before with this lens.   I had some connection issues earlier so I thought it might be related to that or to the software, but with the 100mm lens working I am not sure. As I said, I am in the field (rural Turkey) so I was particularly concerned since I have a limited amount of time here. My solution is to focus in live mode manually which works fine and I am getting some great results! Thanks for responding!

Archived