Want Users to Download .PTM file from our site

brynmawrpainter

We want to implement a clickable download so users can download our .ptm files and then view it themselves using RTIViewer on their own computer. We would also provide a download link for the software.

Right now, this is my html to link to the download:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
<html>
<head>
<b>Here is the Bryn Mawr Painter</b>
<a href="http://www.brynmawr.edu/library/carpenter/RTI/webRTIViewer/BrynMawrPainter/P95.ptm" target="_blank">Download Bryn Mawr Painter</a>

However, when you click on the link it just tries to open the file via the browser. Is there something wrong with my code? Is this not possible with .ptm files?

I appreciate any help. 

Hi.

I think the problem is that the ptm and rti file extensions are not that well known, and so browsers don't know what to do with them. I have seen some browsers automatically do a download, and others try to open them (as you note)  What we did on our site is put them in .zip files which all browsers (as far as I know) will then download them.  This is what the HPLabs site does for their PTM downloads as well.

I realize this is not ideal, and some browsers or security settings will flag a warning about downloading a zip file.  You should explain on your website that the zip file contains a ptm (or rti) file.

Carla

Archived