Photoscan vs Photoscan?

bjornkn

Maybe a bit cryptic topic, but as many of you may not know, there are two very different PhotoScan programs. The one apparently being discussed here is from the Russian company Agisoft. The other PhotoScan comes from the Turkish company tgi3D. http://www.tgi3d.com/

I have been working with 3D and photogrammetry for many years, mainly using Photomodeler and ImageModeler, but after I found the tgi3D/PhotoScan, which works in combo with SketchUp (my favourite 3D modeler for last 12 years) I have never used any of those other programs.

I mostly use them for remodeling/measuring oldish buildings, boats etc though, and not that much for sculptures and other artwork.

tgi3D does require a bit from the operator though, as there is no automation there.

But what it does very nicely is that it allows you to make sharp edges, work with any shiny or transparent material, handlling moving parts (like underwater) or clutter inside rooms, or like trees/shrubs in front of a wall. And it handles concave parts, holes etc just fine.

And it allows you to make very low-poly (or hi-poly if you want to) photo textured models. It's more like a modern vector graphics program that also handles bitmaps well.

For a long time I have wondered why everybody both here (and in other similar forums) seems to be only using that Agisoft program?

Currently I have been working with the local Cultural Heritage preservation authorities here in Kristiansand, Norway, where I'm trying to convince the archeologists and carpenter/architects that there are other tools that might be very useful than Agisoft and/or laser scanning..

My experience with Agisofts app was that I downloaded the demo and threw 45 photos at it, of a skull from a young Viking girl (around 1200 years old) found a few days ago in a local river. It had to stay wet all the time, because it hasn't been preserved yet, and probably the water/reflections was what caused several "holes" in the surface, because of lights reflections?

I haven't made any tgi3D-version yet, but it would certainly not have any problems with reflections or water puddles, which makes the Agisoft version to grow into the table.

How do you handle/fix your Agisoft scans? Using Meshlab? Here's a screen dump.

post-630-0-58890100-1400270623_thumb.jpg post-630-0-71284900-1400274024_thumb.jpg post-630-0-56692700-1400274042_thumb.jpg

As you can see that tabletop, which was completely flat/smooth, has grown up into the skull.

I would love to see some good examples of Agisoft Photoscan works here.

A few years ago I was in a forum discussion about this vector vs bitmap/scanner topc, when I posted a little web page to show some examples.

http://bknilssen.no/X/Photogrammetry/   which shows some of the reasons why I find vectors (and small low-poly meshes) so much more convenient and precise in many situations.

Here's a typical interior photo of a building/barn that needs to be documented/measured. Using tgi3D you don't have to remove all the clutter first, as long as you can see the details on top. But is hard to measure by hand, and takes a very long time.

post-630-0-12067400-1400273079_thumb.jpg

Archived