rti viewer - no extra dialogs in rendering mode

duncanmc

Hi, I have good results so far with rti viewer.

But reading the manual you show other dialogs under the rendering panel: 'gain', 'unsharp masking' etc. These do not appear on my rti viewer.

Is it because I am using the jpeg files straight from the camera? I have a Canon 650D which has the option of saving RAW + JPEG files at the same time. As I only have Photoshop Elements it can't read the Canon RAW format so I have been using Canon's jpegs. Specular enhancement on my rti viewer only has the three sliders - no other tools.

Help, please.

Compliments, by the way, on such a rewarding photo enhacement system; you truly are dedicated.

I am working on the horsemen on Pictish stones (5th-8th centuries AD) in Scotland and it's helping to clarify details of carving.

Cheers

Duncan McArdle

Dear Duncan,

What "sliders" appear in the interface is a matter of which "rendering mode" you pick in the pulldown menu.  So, if you choose Specular Enhancement, you get 3 sliders.  If you choose Diffuse Gain you get a single slier called "gain" etc.  So to see the other items, you just choose the rendering mode you want to try.

How you shot your images should not affect how the RTIViewer works.  It can affect the overall quality of your result, but the functionality of the viewer should be the same, if you have a .ptm or .rti file.  That said, I will note that there are more rendering modes for ptms than for .rti files built with the hshfitter.  The reason is due to the time and budget for the RTiViewer when we were building it and as part of the same project, the hshfitter was being developed by a different team.  So there wasn't time to implement more rendering modes for the new format.  This could be fixed with a later version and some funding.

We do strongly recommend a raw workflow for RTi, and really for all documentary photography.  There are free tols that can work with raw files, such as irfanview.  Also Adobe's Lightroom, is much less expensive than Photoshop and supports a nice raw workflow, if you want to use a commercial product.  I won't say more about raw in this post, other than to point you to this discussion: http://forums.culturalheritageimaging.org/index.php?/topic/248-jpeg-v-jpeg/

While there is some back and forth about the reliability of converting to jpegs there is also discussion about the long term preservation issues.  Might be worth a read...

Carla

Thanks Carla.

I am using the hshfitter, rti files, and the pulldown menu only displays either Default or Specular Enhancement - no Diffuse Gain option.

I have downloaded the rtiviewer a couple of times but I'll uninstall it and try again.

I'll do as you suggest and work down from the RAW files when I get a suitable program downloaded. I have had a look at the jpeg vs jpeg discussion.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Duncan

Duncan - maybe I didn't stress this enough in my answer.  for .rti files made with the hshfitter there are only the default and specular enhancement modes.  The other modes are only available with ptms.  This is fixable with some funding.

I think this is explained in the RTiViewer guide as well. We are working on an update to RTiViewer and we will be updating the guide, so I wil make sure this is clear.

Carla

Archived