New Photogrammetry Forum created

cdschroer

Hi folks,

In light of the interest in photogrammetry topics recently, we've decided to add a new forum.  I've moved over the other discussions about this topic.  there is still a link in the old topic place, so you can find things.

It seems like there is a need for a place to discuss photogrammetry capture, and to compare software.  I understand that there are some other forums out there for photogrammetry discussions, but they are mostly specific to a software package, and hosted by the software companies.  So hopefully, this provides a place for more general discussion.

Enjoy!

Carla

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Congratulations on the expansion into photogrammetry!

This is another field in which forensics users have a common interest with you in areas from accident reconstruction, to measuring the heights of suspects in security videos, to calculating measurements that weren't recorded at crime scenes. 

I received an e-mail that you will be teaching photogrammetry workshops. Is there a specific software that you will be using? If not, are there specific functions, formats, capabilities that one should look for in software to be compatible with the methods that you will be teaching?

Thanks - and congratulations again on this additional area in your work!!

George

George,

We will be teaching photogrammetric principles and capture techniques that are completely software independent.  That said, we will be using Agisoft Photoscan Pro in the class for the processing parts.  If you collect high quality data it can be processed in a range of software packages, including in the future as the software changes.  Read more about our approach and what is covered in the class in our recently released photogrammetry training page: http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Training/photogram_training/index.html

The next class is October 6-9, 2014 in San Francisco.  We hope to offer another class in the winter.

Carla

• Like 1

Carla,

I am new to your forum, I am also in forensics, photogrammetry and laser scanning.  We are new to laser scanning but have used photogrammetry for years.   I have seen a lot of input on your forum about photogrammetry, 3d modeling and a mix of the two.   I stumbled on your forum looking for a conversions for OBJ files created in 123d Catch to a PTS or LAS file format so I can use photogrammetry and laser scans together in a point cloud software.  Do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

Ron

Ron -

Sorry, we haven't used 123D catch at CHI. (you might want to look at the terms of service, by using it you are giving Autodesk copyright to all your images)

You are really asking about file conversion though, and there are folks who might have a useful answer for you.

This really should be a new topic.  Someone on the forums might have a response for you.  You can repost it that way.  As a moderator I can make some changes, but the system won't let me repost this as a new topic.  Give it a useful name like "converting OBJ to PTS or LAS"

We just announced a photogrammetry training class for October 6-9.  We are fortunate to have the support of a couple of the top experts in this field to help us co-teach it.  We use Agisoft photoscan pro in our training, but the principles and techniques we teach for image capture are not software specific.  123D catch is extremely limited software, and you have no ability to refine the calibration and alignment of the images or get useful metric data for accurate measurement.

Anyway, if you want to check out our class, go here: http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Training/photogram_training/index.html

Carla