Not able to import images.

geier1

Hello everyone, I have an issue, let me explain a little about my project, I have high quality 3d historical scan data and have rendered about 50 images of the object, all with different sources of light. I have also done the same thing with a black sphere. My plan was do create a project using the black ball and then using that .lp file to import my object images. My issue is after i've converted my rendered images to DNG, then back into JPG, I am not able to import the picture. I was trying to select multiple images but it would not let me do that. I have also tried updating Java. Any Help? It would be very helpfull.

• 2 weeks later...

One more thing to check is whether there are spaces anywhere in the file path - not just the filename.  You can't use spaces.  That means that on a Windows system, you can't use the desktop because it s in a folder called "documents and settings" (with spaces)

I can't tell from your description if the files aren't loading into RTIBuilder at all, or whether you can't "execute" the build of the images in the last screen.

Please describe exactly what happens, what screen you are on, and whether you get any error messages.

Carla

Thanks!  Good to know. I haven't worked on a Windows machine in a while.  It's still important to note that you can't have spaces anywhere in the full path to your files, not just your image file names.  A quick way to look at that, if you get errors is to open the .lp file which is in the Assembly-files folder.  You can see the full path being used, and look for spaces or special characters.

Carla

• 2 months later...

One more note - I just reread this, and I think that the idea of "importing" the files is the key one.  The RTIBuilder assumes a specific file structure.  Your images MUST be in a folder called "jpeg-exports"  Then in RTIBuilder, you give the folder containing that folder, and it will load the files.  This is described in the documentation on page 9 and again on page 12.  You can get the Guide to highlight image processing here:

http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Downloads/Process/index.html

Also note that if you want to use a pre-determined light position file - you should use the "dome LP file" option in the first screen (PTM OR HSH as you wish)

Carla

• 8 months later...

I am having the same problem, not being able to export images.I  created a new project, and trying to import my folder of jpeg-exports. I have no spaces between the words in the file names and I when I go to choose the folder I get the message" The j-peg exports folder is missing in your project directory" ? why am I getting this message,Thank You? working on a MAC

Today I got it working !! Stored image folder on Mac's Hard drive instead of an external hard drive.

Sorry to be late in responding - the issue when you see the message "The jpeg-exports folder is missing in your project directory" is that you didn't give RTIBuilder the correct folder.  When starting a new project, it is looking for a project level folder, that includes a jpeg-exports folder where the images are to be found.  The folder MUST have that name, and you have to give it a folder one level up from that.  This is all documented in the user guide.

Carla

• 1 year later...

Dragos,

A few things that would help narrow this down:

• Have you managed to build and view RTI files before?
  • Is it just one set of images that causes this?
  • If you have a set of images that worked previously, can you try re-processing them?
  • Can you advise hardware and operating system?
  • Can you confirm if you have admin rights and full access to the file system on the computer?
  • Can you post a screenshot showing the file structure where the images are that you are hoping to process?
  • Can you share one of the image files you are hoping to see (and process)?
  • Do you have any other computers you could try on? (even with just a small set of a few images)
  • What happens if you try processing the sample image set that CHI provide which is known to work?
    (download in various resolutions from: http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Downloads/Process/)

Dave

10 hours ago, Dave Martin said:

Dragos,

A few things that would help narrow this down:

• Have you managed to build and view RTI files before?
  • Is it just one set of images that causes this?
  • If you have a set of images that worked previously, can you try re-processing them?
  • Can you advise hardware and operating system?
  • Can you confirm if you have admin rights and full access to the file system on the computer?
  • Can you post a screenshot showing the file structure where the images are that you are hoping to process?
  • Can you share one of the image files you are hoping to see (and process)?
  • Do you have any other computers you could try on? (even with just a small set of a few images)
  • What happens if you try processing the sample image set that CHI provide which is known to work?
    (download in various resolutions from: http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Downloads/Process/)

Dave

Hi Dave,

thank you for the reply.

I have full admin rights on this IMac (2017) running on Mojave. It is the first time I use RTI - and I would like to learn how to use it.

Urgently I need to see and process 1 file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lnrzr9ewg3wzbx/0342.JPG?dl=0 / https://www.dropbox.com/s/1r9sde1mqm6fflt/0342.jpeg?dl=0

I managed to open the RTI builder, but now I have another error: https://www.dropbox.com/s/knn2qcp4alwv824/Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 06.46.46.png?dl=0

Would it be possible to get this file as RTI somehow?

Best,

Dragos

Dragos,

The screenshot shows "Unknown Error Detected", that is known and various threads on this forum relate to it. It is, I understand, reported as the cryptic "Unknown Error" because RTI Builder hands off to actual Fitter to do the numerical processing, and if the Fitter doesn't work, it doesn't necessarily report why. Have a search here for "unknown error". You have installed the fitter, haven't you?

You also mentioned processing "1 file" - that DropBox link doesn't work - do you mean just one picture?

(There may also be Mac issues but I'm sorry that I'm not a Mac expert - my last Apple machine was the twin-floppy Apple II on which I wrote some of the software in UCSD Pascal for my PhD  - just Windows and Unix for the last forty-odd years)

Dave (just another RTI user!)

Hi Dragos,

I've just had a look at the manuscript page image. It's big, but possibly processable.

I'm a little confused though:

1) that image doesn't have any reflective sphere(s) that I can see in the shot? which are necessary unless you have a pre-calibrated lighting dome or rig.

2) that image looks to have fairly flat / uniform illumination? rather than from a point source.

3) are you trying to make an RTI out of just one image? - if so, that won't work - you need a number of shots with the camera position/orientation held steady and the point light source illuminating the object from different directions (see the RTI capture guide on CHI's web site at http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Downloads/Capture/index.html and the RTI processing guide at http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Downloads/Process/index.html )

Can I suggest you get to grips with making an RTI model with the set of images linked to above with CHI provide, which we know work.

Dave

Hello !

It seems that I do have the same problem as depicted in this page. It is the first time I use RTIBuilder. I try to import my .jpg photos in RTIBuilder, but nothing happens after I chose the folder on my computer.

I have checked the names of all the folders, and there are no spaces in them. I tried to put my folder on different places on my computer, but nothing works. I also tried to open the files provided by CHI (the fish), but nothing is working. My cursor is turning in blue for more than 50 minutes with no effects. I do have administrator rights on the folder and images.

My images are stored in: C:\Users\Emeline\Desktop\RTI\MR_390_Vertumne\MR390_Vertumne_attache\jpeg-exports

I had some problems in the beginning to open the RTIBuilder, because my antivirus (Norton) saw some virus in it. The program is opening now, but nothing is working…

Do you have any idea, please?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Emeline

Emeline,
First quick thought - you're not trying to open the jpeg-exports folder in RTI Builder are you? - you need to open the parent project directory
     C:\Users\Emeline\Desktop\RTI\MR_390_Vertumne\MR390_Vertumne_attache
within which the builder will expect to find the jpeg-exports and will in due course save the MR390_Vertumne_attache.xml and create the assembly-files, cropped-files, and finished-files folders.
Dave