Newbie to software

mttitan

Hello,

I am new to this software. I have finally figured out how to get my McAfee down. I have figured out that I have to type in a project name and start new project under a fitter. I have no idea which fitter to start with and how to get pictures into a project. I browse but I cannot get photos on. Can anyone give me a walk thru on what I shoud be doing?

Thanks,

Bob

Please read the "Guide to Highlight Image Processing" which walks through how to use the RTIBuilder software in detail.  It includes step by step instructions and screen shots, etc.

Please note that RTIBuilder assumes a specific directory structure and that it looks for photos in a folder called "jpeg-exports" which has to exist inside the project folder, which you provide to RTIBuilder. This is described in the guide.

Carla

PS:  I moved this topic to the RTI processing forum, and out of the FAQ forum, since it's specific to the RTIBuilder.

Please read the "Guide to Highlight Image Processing" which walks through how to use the RTIBuilder software in detail.  It includes step by step instructions and screen shots, etc.

Please note that RTIBuilder assumes a specific directory structure and that it looks for photos in a folder called "jpeg-exports" which has to exist inside the project folder, which you provide to RTIBuilder. This is described in the guide.

Carla

PS:  I moved this topic to the RTI processing forum, and out of the FAQ forum, since it's specific to the RTIBuilder.

Hello,

Thank you for answering back. This is what I get when I go through your link. The page you requested does not exist or has been moved. To find what you are looking for, please go to our home page, or use our site search

Anywhere else I should go? Trying to figure out how to do the jpeg export.

Thanks again,

Bob

Hello,

Thank you for answering back. I have been unable to get the .pdf to open from your link. This is what I get:

Oops! Page not found

The page you requested does not exist or has been moved. To find what you are looking for, please go to our home page, or use our site search:

Trying to figure out how to do the .jpeg export part down to start a project

Thanks again,

Bob

I just tried the link myself and it works fine.  I then clicked the link on that page for the User Guide, and it also works fine.  Please try again.

If you can't follow the link then just go to the CHI website  and then using the menus at the top, choose "downloads" from the "what we offer" menu.  From there choose processing, and you can get to the page that way.

If you downloaded the RTIBuilder, this is on the same page as where you downloaded that.  

Carla

Thank you, I finely got what I needed. I am now struggling with finding which PTM file to download from HP to use that fitter. I have tried the HSH fitter and when I go through the sequences, my picture in the RTI viewer is very sketchy and I cannot read any of the inscriptions. I have tried to crop the image and have the exact same problem of a pixelated looking finished product..

Thank you for your help,

Bob

Bob,

It is unlikely that the ptmfitter will provide better results than the HSHfitter.  If you are not getting satisfactory results, there is likely a problem with your photos.  Since you didn't provide a screen shot or an example of one of the images it is not possible to say.  A couple of common problems are that there was some movement of your camera, or of the subject when you were taking pictures.  If the pixels don't line up exactly across the whole image set this can happen.  Also if the images are not in good focus, or the focus changes (like leaving the camera in auto focus mode) that could cause problems.

I can tell that you are frustrated by your experience.  It is an effort to learn to capture and process high quality RTI data.  However, it can be worth it if you have material that this can help you to view and analyze.  I strongly recommend that you read the "guide to highlight image capture" and that you pay close attention to the instructions for how to capture your RTI data.  There are also 2 short instructional videos on the above linked page that can help you with the light positions for collecting RTI data.

Once you have a good process for collecting the image sets, you will find that it's pretty straight forward to use this technique.

Also, we do provide in depth RTI training at Cultural Heritage Imaging.  Write to us if you would like to be placed on the interest list.

Carla

Archived