How do I run RTIBuilder on my Mac when I get a "Damaged File" message?

cdschroer

There have been some reports of problems with newer Macs (running 10.9 and later) where a message stating that the RTIBuilder download is damaged appears.

This is a known problem that started with MacOs 10.9 and later, because Apple changed their security checks.  

We do not believe there is anything wrong with the RTIBuilder download.  As a small nonprofit company, we haven't paid to be in the Apple Developer program, and so the content is unsigned.  Also a small script runs when you install the software (it basically just sets up a path to the software) and this is what is causing the error message.  Note that the identical package on MacOS 10.8 and earlier will not generate this message.

You need to change your security settings (found in the system preferences) to allow software downloaded from anywhere to run, and then try it again.  You can then change the settings back.

• 1 year later...

The question about the sphere recognition is not related to this topic.  It should be posted as a new topic in the "Processing RTI" Forum"  Also, please describe in detail the problem.  Exactly what happens?  What steps lead to the problem?  Is there an error message?  Does it not work as you expect?  Include a screen shot if that is appropriate.

Carla

PS:  I can move a new topic someone posts to the proper forum, but I can't move individual posts somewhere else.  Please start a new topic about this issue.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

I have another similar problem when I try to install the RTI builder programe. I changed my security options, so i can download the programe, in this way I've can install the RTI viewer programe.

My computer said me that "the RTI builder is damaged and can not be opened. You must eject the disk image". 

I've read the forum's answered but they don't serve me.

Thank so much

We have seen the damaged file reported before (though the file is not damaged).  Usually going to system preferences and changing the security settings to allow the software "from anywhere" to run will fix the problem.  Then you can change the setting back, once RTiBuilder is running. You will need an administrator password to make this change.

Carla

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - wow, this looks like a problem.  MacOS X Sierra does remove the run apps from "anywhere" option.  

Here's an article with a couple of options for how to get around this:

http://dispatchist.com/macos-sierra-gatekeeper-run-applications-anywhere/

I can't vouch for this site, but one of the options is pretty straightforward.  The more permanent fix involving a command line action in a terminal, you might want to do a bit more research on before trying.

Carla

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just had to do this on Mojave - and it works like a charm.  

We are looking into getting the proper certificates so that our software can come from a "known developer" which would prevent this problem.  The certificates cost money, and it's different for Mac and Windows.  That plus work needs to be done on the RTI software.  We are aware of this issue though, and we will do what we can to resolve it.  

We appreciate all of you that support our work with donations and volunteer efforts.  It really makes a difference.

Carla

• cdschroer pinned this topic
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having to rebuild my RTI/PTM workflow on account of reinstalls etc. I know that none of the apps work on a macOS 64 bit system like 10.15 Mojave but I was lucky enough to find an old MacBook Air running macOS 10.13 High Sierra. Some of the links above are broken now, so here's a summary of what I did to get working RTI/PTM software in macOS 10.13 if you are lucky enough to have an old Mac hanging around. There are risks in allowing apps from being installed from anywhere, so bear this in mind if you are installing software from other places. 

Download RTIbuilder and add to the Applications folder as usual. It will not run, and macOS will report the app as broken.

Disable Gatekeeper (this is what prevents the app from running) by opening a terminal and typing (or copy/paste)

sudo spctl --master-disable

Verify that this has worked by going into System Preferences > Security & Privacy and in the General tab check that there are now three options for installing software under "Allow downloaded apps from:" and that "Anywhere" is selected.

Now you should be able to run RTIBuilder. If you're concerned about security, after you have finished building and viewing HSH RTIs, set the option in Security & Privacy back to another option such as "App Store and identified developers".

If you want to create PTM files too:

Right-click on RTIBuilder and select "Show Package Contents" then navigate into Contents > Resources > Java > Fitters > PTMfitter

The folder will be empty. Keep it open and open a new Finder window/tab.

Download the PTMfitter software from Carla's Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jfsy0lhxu6zv4i4/AADJpq6E_GJmNw_s5C8r94CVa?dl=0

Extract the zip file and copy the file PTMfitter file (there's no file extension and this doesn't matter) into the PTMfitter directory that you still have open.

Open a terminal and (assuming RTIBuilder is in your Applications folder) type/copy/paste

cd /Applications/RTIbuilder-v2.0.2.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Fitters/PTMfitter

Next, you need to make the PTMfitter file executable by typing

chmod 755 PTMfitter

Now you can close your Finder windows and launch RTIBuilder. It should now launch and be able to create both HSH/RTI and PTM files.

I hope this helps some people at least.

Thanks,
Tom

Curatorial Research Centre
https://curatorialresearch.com

(These instructions worked on macOS 10.13 High Sierra in February 2020)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm having similar problems as others who've posted in this thread. Currently running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and have changed security settings to allow apps from anywhere, but still receiving an error message "RTIbuilder-v2.0.2" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash" . Strangely, the RTIViewer software opens as expected. Thanks so much for your help and any info you can provide!

All the best,

Aidan 

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.06.50 AM.png

• 1 month later...

I also have the same problem. I have Mac OS 11.4 and I can't open the RTIbuilder App. The error message I receive is "RTIbuilder is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash".

Can anyone help me? 

Thank you in advance

Marco

• 3 weeks later...