Verify your PTMfitter path!

rachelkalisher

Hi all, 

in the past I was having trouble with building any type of file, but eventually I was able to get the HSH fitter to work. The problem is, now I need the build a PTM file. I start up RTI builder and choose the HSH file .xml and am trying to convert it to PTM. This is what happens...

1. Open up RTI Builder

2. Choose "Open existing project" and choose my .xml file (My images are saved as .jpg not .JPG)

3. Prompts me "Use selected pipeline instead of the stored project pipeline?" I click yes.

4. Brings me to the page where all of the photos are being uploaded and my PTMfitter location is
"/Applications/RTIbuilder-v2.0.2.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Fitters/PTMfitter/ptmfitter"

5. When I click execute it says "Verify your PTMfitter path!"

Does anyone have any idea on what to do about this? My solution can't be to just use an HSH because I need the different filters on the PTM for my image. 

I'm running Mac OSx 10.9.4 and I've also tried doing this on my Windows 7. Same problems.

Please someone help!!

Best, 

Rachel

The HSHFitter is included with RTiBuilder.  THe ptmfiter is from HP, and we cannot ship it with the product.  So you have to go download it from HP, and then tell RTiBuilder where you installed it.  This is a one time thing, and once you set it up it won't ask you again.  This is described in detail in the Guide to Highlight Image Processing:http://culturalheritageimaging.org/What_We_Offer/Downloads/Process/index.html

Carla

Carla, 

Thank you so much, that was incredibly helpful.

I followed the link to http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/ptm/downloads/download.html

I downloaded the PTMfitter, but I'm not exactly sure what to do from there. I tried dragging the .exe into my fitters folder in the package contents but it's still asking for me to verify the path.

Any ideas?

You can install the ptmfitter wherever you want.  Then in RTiBuilder, you should browse to wherever you put it and double click on it.   Once you have set it up, it won't ask again.

Also - if you have a .exe then you have the windows version of the ptmfitter.  You need the mac version (at least I assume you are on a mac, given the path you gave in your first message.

Carla

One more note - there are multiple items available from the HP website.  You want to download the ptmfitter.  Make sure you get the right one for your platform.  You have to agree to their license before you can download.  Then in the page that comes up, you want one of these:

Download PTM Fitter Program

» Windows version, (88 KB)
» Linux ix86 version, (26 KB)
» HP-UX version, (101 KB)
» Mac version, (471 KB)

On the final screen where you generate the PTM or HSH based file.  If you reopen an existing file, you will go to this page.

See the Guide to Highlight Image Processing page 20 and 21, for a description and a screenshot.  Where it says "PTMfitter location" you should click on "find" and browse to the location where you installed it. Then doubleclick on the ptmfitter and it should update the window to show the installed location.

Carla

Carla! Thanks so much! I just figured it out as you replied.

For anyone who else has been experiencing this:

Download the PTMfitter file anywhere and run RTIbuilder as PTM fitter with the black ball (if that's what you're using). You have to go through all of the steps until the end and when you have the path of the file, browse your computer for the PTMfitter and then click execute.

The PTMbuilder will read:
"Polynomial Texture Map (PTM) Fitter

Copyright Hewlett-Packard Company 2001. All rights reserved.
See included readme and license files."

It is executing your file just give it a moment and soon enough you will have your .ptm!

Thanks so much to Carla and hope this helps anyone else.

• 4 years later...
On 8/29/2014 at 10:59 PM, cdschroer said:

One more note - there are multiple items available from the HP website.  You want to download the ptmfitter.  Make sure you get the right one for your platform.  You have to agree to their license before you can download.  Then in the page that comes up, you want one of these:

Download PTM Fitter Program

» Windows version, (88 KB)
» Linux ix86 version, (26 KB)
» HP-UX version, (101 KB)
» Mac version, (471 KB)

I don't know how I managed to find this from 2014, but somehow I was able to download the fitter from here and bypassed the dreaded verify PTM path notice that's been the doom of my research it seems since HP stopped having the download available, and since downloading it from the dropbox seemed to be non executable. Finally finishing some rock art!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2019 at 12:48 PM, Fionn said:

I don't know how I managed to find this from 2014, but somehow I was able to download the fitter from here and bypassed the dreaded verify PTM path notice that's been the doom of my research it seems since HP stopped having the download available, and since downloading it from the dropbox seemed to be non executable. Finally finishing some rock art!!!!

@Fionn you are an actual angel!!!!! Thank you for saving me from a the most frustrating and hair pulling experience today!!