RTI Builder "damaged file" error on bootup on Mac

mgts24

I am unable to get RTI Builder to boot up on my Macbook Pro (early 2011 running OS 10.9.1, 15", 8 GB RAM, 2 GHz).  I get the error message "RTIBuilder–v2.02.app" is damaged and can't be opened.  You should move it to the trash.  I tried re-downloading, but to no avail. 

Anyone else had this problem?  I have installed the latest version of Java (7.51 ), but that didn't help.

To be clear: the error occurs after installation and at the point of trying to open the software for the first time.

I just tested the download and installation on a mac running 10.6.8 with no problem.  The file you download from the downloads page is a .dmg file.  Then when you double click on it, you see the .app file inside alog with an icon for the applications folder.  Then you drag the .app file into the applications folder.  Did you do all these steps?  Are you saying that now when you double click the appinside the applications folder you get the damaged message?

Also what Mac OS are you running on?

Carla

Michael and I were conversing privately, and I asked him to post to the forum.  Just so this thread has all the info - Michael is working on the latest MacOS 10.9.1 Mavericks.  We at CHI don't have a machine running that OS (highest we have is 10.8)  If anyone has successfully run RTiBuilder on Mavericks, can you please chime in! I don't know if that is the issue, but since I downloaded the software today and successfully installed and ran it in my environment, I don't think it is a file corruption problem.

Carla

I opened and installed the new 'version' of Builder that Joao sent, but the same error message declared that the file was damaged.  Luckily there was a help pane accessible via the error message.  The second sentence is the key one.

"The app has been modified, and it’s code does not match the original signed code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you feel that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless the Gatekeeper setting in Security & Privacy preferences is set to Anywhere.

Open the General pane of Security & Privacy preferences

For more information about protecting your Mac from harmful software, see:

Protect your Mac from malware

Was this page helpful?Send feedback."

This workaround of making the change in system preferences to "allow apps downloaded from anywhere" is the solution.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Michael for the follow up and the detailed instructions.

We have done some homework about this, and we have to apply to be on the approved developer list, then we have to repackage all the software using an approved Apple Developer ID in order to make this problem go away.  These security settings are new in OS10.9 Mavericks.  It will take us some time to get this done, because we don't have any funding to do this work, though we will try to make it happen over the next couple of months.

The short term solution is to change the security setting, as Michael describes above

Note that the error message is completely bogus and there is no damage to the downloaded file.

Carla

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks -

This has been coming up increasingly since more folks are moving to Mac OS 10.9 and 10.10.  I have done a bit more homework, and there is a way to run just the RTiBuilder software and not allow all downloaded software to run.  It depends on the error message you see. Please read the details on this page:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

We are also looking into getting a Mac Developer ID so we can sign future software versions and hopefully reduce this problem.

• 7 months later...

Has this been resolved yet? We were hoping to use this software on Friday 8/14/15 but I am getting the damaged, move to trash error. I read the apple support article posted above but I do not get the option to fix this. It simply tells me that the file is damaged and should be moved to the trash. OS 10.9.5

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Ken Fleisher

Color Scientist

National Gallery of Art

Here is a more concise answer:

This is a known problem that started with MacOs 10.9 and later, where Apple changed their security checks.  

There is nothing wrong with the RTIBuilder download.  As a small nonprofit company, we haven't paid to be in the Apple Developer program, and so the content is unsigned.  Also a small script runs when you install the software (it basically just sets up a path to the software) and this is what is causing the error message.  Note that the identical package on MacOS 10.8 and earlier will not generate this message!

You need to change your security settings to allow software downloaded from anywhere to run, and then try it again.  You can then change the settings back.

Archived