Problem installing RTI Viewer - corrupt files?

Tom Riddolls

I have tried to download Viewer to two different machines and I get errors with both.  One is running XP professional (that's my work computer) the other is my home computer which is Windows 7.  I can download the files and then when the installer opens I get an error saying the .exe file will not open for writing...

Anyone else experience this and have a work around?

Tom

Tom -

I haven't seen this before, and we have a lot of users, and I have personally installed the software a number of times.  We have directly tested on both Windows XP pro and on Windows 7.

Is it possibly a permissions issue?  Do you have administrator privileges on your account?  Do you have write privileges in the folder where you downloaded the files?  

I've also moved this over the Viewers area - since processing is really for RTIBuilder and related stuff like fitters.

Carla

Thanks Carla,

There are permissions on the work computer but by using Chrome I can get around them (don't tell anyone...) and it worked fine for Builder.  I have NO permissions on my home computer.  I have downloaded Viewer in the past - I found it coincidental however that in one day I got similar error messages on two very different machines - that led me to believe the original files were somehow problematic.

Tom

I just downloaded the RTiViewer setup file from the website, and installed it with no problems in a Windows 7 environment.  So I don't think it is the file.

Can you say exactly what happens at what point?  You download the file RTIViewer_102_Setup.exe.  Then you run the program by double-clicking on it, then ...?  At what point do you get an error.  What does the error say?  

Since I'm not having difficulty I may not be able to help, but at least knowing exactly when in the process you see it could be helpful.

Carla

So I just tried on two different machines and got the same error.  I download the software and them run the installer. I accept the terms then click install and that's when I get the error.

Very frustrating since I have several files that I have processed through builder that I am excited to view!  

Tom

I think this is potentially a permissions issue. While you say you don't have permissions on your home computer, the Windows Operating System uses permissions for various things.  The first thing is the permission to download a file onto your local hard drive.  But there are also permissions for executing files and for writing in certain folders.

Before you install, you can choose a location to install the software.  The default location is program files on the C: drive.  Have you tried setting a different location to install the files?  When you install, does the account you are using have administrator privileges?  Many computers are set up where only an administrator can install files in the program files folder.  Try installing on your desktop or a folder you create on your desktop.

I'm not sure what else to tell you.  No one has ever reported the problem you are reporting, and I can't reproduce it, having just tried the files from the website. The fact that the setup.exe file runs and asks for the acceptance of the license, is an indication that the file itself is not corrupted.  If the file was corrupted, it likely wouldn't run at all.

As a final resort, you can use the ptmviewer from HP for looking at ptm files.  It is a research tool, and doesn't have great documentation, or as useful of an interface, but you could at least look at your files (if you built them as PTMs)  You can find it on the HP website here: http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/ptm/downloads/download.html

If anybody else out there has ideas about what to try, please jump in.

Carla

Archived