Tripods

Mike

I'm trying to get an RTI setup going on a tight budget. I'm looking for a tripod that's threaded on the bottom of the center column so that I can mount the head down below as shown in the capture guide.

I'm not sure what that feature is usually called, so it's been hard to Google. The ones I've found have been either very high-end or very low-end. I'm looking for something inexpensive and reliable.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or can anyone give me tips on how to shop for a tripod and ensure that I have this crucial feature?

Try looking for a tripod with a reversible column. It doesn't need to be threaded on the bottom, just that the whole column can be removed and placed in upside down.

I know you are on a budget, but I will quote an often heard photographer's axiom "photographers date their cameras and marry their tripods"

Carla

Mike,

This is a good question. For inexpensive tripods our group likes Induro, particularly their largest aluminum tripod, the AT413: http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_AT413.html#5

The centre column is threaded at both ends and can be reversed. It also comes with metal spikes in case you're shooting outdoors. Usually they can had for around $220, a real bargain in terms of tripods.

IMHO getting a really good ball-head for the tripod is almost as important as the tripod itself...those can be seriously pricey.

I agree with George re: ball heads. Cheap ones can "drift" and you don't want that with RTI (or any photography really). We like the ones from Really Right Stuff. We are also fond of some Linhoff ball heads we have used for years. We use arca swiss style mounting plates and clamps (which RRS also makes, as do several other companies including Kirk).

Archived